Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Simple Layer Mask in photoshop

The purpose of this tutorial is to mask the
lettering so that it looks like it's behind the glass
and so you can have a basic understanding of how a layer mask works


started with this image of the strawberries (layer 2) which I placed in another document.
I could of easily done this without placing it in another document but this is how I did it.
Next, I typed in my text which created its own layer. In order to mask a type layer you
must render the type by using the menu Layer>Rasterize>Type.

You need to create a layer mask as above. The Reveal All means
everything on that layer can be seen and Hide All will make everything
disappear. If you use Reveal All (which i always do) you need to use
black as your foreground color to mask out any areas you want to get rid of.
If you use Hide All you will need to use white as your foreground color
to reveal everything which was hidden.
Once you create your layer mask, your text layer will have another icon on it.
This is the actual layer mask which you will be working on. On this layer
you have the actual rendered text thumbnail, a layer mask thumbnail, and
a chain in between. The chain is a link which links the layer and the mask
together so that they both move together if you decide to move the layer
For this project, I will be using a brush to mask out the area
of type I want hidden. My foreground color is set to black so I
can remove the parts of the layer I need to

 Make sure the layer mask is selected. It will have a border around it

 I start at the top of the text with my brush with the foreground color set to black
 By moving my brush along the shape of the glass the text disappears
 By moving my brush along the shape of the glass the text disappears
No big deal. The beauty of the layer mask is that all of the text is still there.
I just have to get it back by using white instead of black as my foreground color
Using white will bring back what i mistakenly took away

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India